Will I Have Coverage If the Accident Was My Fault?

Florida Is a “No-Fault” State  

This means that your own insurance company will pay for a certain portion of your medical bills and lost wages if you are involved in a car accident regardless of who is at fault.

PIP Coverage

PIP Coverage is mandatory for all Florida drivers, but it doesn't cover much.

PIP stands for “personal injury protection,” and this is the part of your insurance that covers part of your medical bills and lost wages.  However, PIP only pays 80% of your medical bills and 60% of your lost wages usually up to $10,000, which if you sustained any type of soft tissue or significant injury, is not much at all.  PIP coverage can also be much lower if you do not take the necessary steps to ensure you protect your rights to the coverage, and it is likely you may not know what those steps are.  This is why it is important to contact a car accident attorney to help guide you through the process after you have been injured in an auto accident.

Learn more about Florida Personal Injury Protection Insurance

Bodily Injury Liability Coverage

BI coverage is optional, but it provides insurance coverage for injuries you may cause to others as a result of the accident.

BI stands for “bodily injury” coverage. When you are in a car accident, your BI coverage will pay for injuries you cause to the other driver.  If the other driver was at fault, his or her BI coverage will pay for your personal injury claim damages caused by the car accident.

Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage

UM coverage is optional, but it protects you when the other driver does not have any or does not have enough insurance.

UM stands for “uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.” When people drive without bodily injury insurance or do not carry enough coverage to pay all of the expenses and damage they cause, UM will pay the cost of your injuries.  You can also “stack” your coverage, which multiplies your coverage amount by the number of vehicles you own.

Medical payments coverage, rental coverage, collision coverage, comprehensive, and property damage liability are all optional coverages that can increase your insurance coverage.  Medical payments coverage works in conjunction with your PIP coverage to pay for your medical bills. Rental coverage covers the cost of a rental car after an accident.  Collision coverage pays for repairs to your car when the other driver is at fault, while comprehensive coverage pays for damage caused to your vehicle by fire, flood, or other types of losses.  Property damage liability is required and pays to fix damage to property (for example, a fence you knock down) when you are at fault in the accident.

Have Questions About Your Coverage?

If you have been injured in a car accident, hiring a lawyer will help ensure you make decisions and take actions that help protect your rights and your ability to recover all of your damages.  At Taylor, Warren & Weidner, we never charge an initial fee or cost to sit down with you and talk about the different types of auto accident coverage is available, the coverage you may have in place and what it will and will not cover and any other questions you may have about your auto policy.  We would be happy to sit down and discuss your auto insurance coverage at any time. Contact us.

Insurance companies do not want you to hire a lawyer because they know an attorney working in your best interest will make them treat you fairly and pay the full extent of their obligation on your claim.  The insurance company will often try to settle with you for less than your claim is worth.  Hiring an attorney greatly increases your chances of being fairly compensated for your injuries. 

Free Consultation

We never charge any fee or cost for an initial consultation to explain your rights. If you’ve been injured in a car accident or have question about an insurance claim, contact us.